Volunteer Job Description
To facilitate the process of learning for adults in a way which enhances their personal development.
Duties and responsibilities
Skills & Learning Volunteers working with a Group Tutor
The Skills & Learning Volunteer is responsible to the group tutor while they are working within a group. The group tutor manages the learning of all learners in the group while managing and supporting the volunteer’s contribution.
In order to make an effective contribution, volunteers working in groups will need to:
1. Have attended the Skills & Learning Volunteer induction session.
2. Volunteer in a placement for one session per week (approx. 2 hours) for at least one year.
3. Attend punctually and regularly all advertised group sessions giving the maximum notice of any impending absence to the team.
4. Be prepared to meet with the group tutor before and after each session.
5. Support the group tutor in directing and assisting learners.
6. Support individual learners in appropriate learning activities using a range of methods, materials and resources.
7. Help create an encouraging learning environment, sensitive to learners’ attitudes, feelings, expectations and aspirations.
8. Provide verbal and/or written feedback to the group tutor on individual learner’s progress and help learners with recording.
9. Be committed to training and attend development meetings.
10. Take part in an appropriate staff appraisal scheme.
11. Be aware of and work within the Skills & Learning, BDP Vision, Mission and Values and conform to all Borough of Poole Policies and Skills & Learning Procedures on Equality & Diversity, Health & Safety, Safeguarding and confidentiality.