Coronavirus Updates and Returning to Learning
We are committed to delivering high quality learning to the whole community in a safe environment. We created this page to share up-to-date information regarding our courses and our centres. As we are publicly funded and a local authority service unit, we have to take direction from the Department for Education and BCP Council to inform our decision making about course delivery models, learning centre opening and safety.
New Update - 8th September 2021
We are looking forward to welcoming you to Skills & Learning Adult Community Education, we are delighted that we will be able to return to classroom learning. We continue to follow guidance issued by the Department for Education (DfE), Public Health England (PHE), the NHS and the local authority.
Please do not come to any of our learning centres if you have, any of the following
– Tested positive for Covid-19 within the last 10 days
– Show a positive reading on a lateral flow test
– Have been told to isolate
– Experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19.
Please engage with the National effort to track & trace by undertaking twice weekly Lateral Flow Tests. You can order free tests on the Government website here.
We are asking everyone to:-
– Wear a face covering in the communal areas of our learning centres, unless exempt, and you are welcome to wear one in your class if you prefer.
– Arrive at your learning centre no earlier than 5 minutes before the start of your course and if you arrive too early, please wait outside the building until 5 minutes before your start time.
On entering the building:-
– Ensure you have your face covering on
– Sanitise your hands
– Go directly to your classroom.
– At our busiest learning centres, we may have a member of staff meeting & greeting learners so they can be directed safely to classrooms.
We will be:-
– Laying out our classrooms in a U shape so you should expect to be sitting next to someone.
– Maintaining ventilation in all classrooms by opening windows/doors where possible
– Some of our classrooms have installed ventilation systems and we will use these as necessary.
– You should be prepared for this to alter the temperature of the rooms you learn in. Please dress accordingly for the weather and temperature when coming to any of our learning centres.
We ask you to:-
– Avoid standing around in corridors before, during and after sessions.
– You can use the materials provided to wipe down your desks, chairs and any shared equipment before and after your class.
– Increased the frequency of cleaning and provided cleaning materials and sanitiser in our main learning centres.
– In our hired learning venues, we have asked for additional cleaning routines before and after classes although you are welcome to bring your own non-toxic products if you prefer.
In most locations, we have reopened refreshment areas and lounges although we encourage you to be considerate of others and maintain distancing, wear a face covering and limit time spent in these areas. You may prefer to bring your own refreshments to reduce contact with others.
The Learner Handbook is available on our website and this contains some further information about learning with us. For those of you learning online, information will be sent to you before your course starts. We have a team of Digital Learning Support Assistants available who will be able to support you to access your online learning if you have a need. Please contact our customer service team or talk to your tutor if you have support needs.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation with these guidelines and your consideration of others, and wish you every success in your learning programme with us this year.
On behalf of
The Senior Management Team