During this course you will receive both group and individual support in order to help you learn more about Sewing Machine Skills.
This course will start at the very beginning by looking at the basics of how a sewing machine works and help you to gain confidence operating a sewing machine successfully.
Topics that may be covered include:
- Identifying the parts of a sewing machine
- Threading & using the bobbin
- Operating a sewing machine safely – including trouble shooting
- Use guides on the machine to determine stitching position
- Change stitch settings, seams and hems
- Make a basic sewn craft item following a handout or simple commercial pattern.
- Applique, zips and buttonholes.
- Experiment on different fabrics with your machine.
- Build up a range of stitched samples as a reference for the future.
All our courses are made up of elements of speaking & listening, reading and writing, and you will work using these elements throughout the course.
There will be an opportunity to choose a practical project to be completed from the selection offered by the tutor. Projects are chosen to give you the chance to put into practice the skills and knowledge that you will be taught during the course.
This course offers an avenue for creative pursuits, improving your health and wellbeing.
Learning takes place in a friendly classroom setting, which is a great place for social interaction and helping you meet new people.
This course is subsidised by Government funding so you should aim to attend the whole course.