By completing the mandatory units, you will develop:
- An understanding of leadership styles in organisations
- Knowledge of team dynamics and the techniques used to manage the work of teams
- An appreciation of the impact of change management and how a motivated team affects an organisation
- An understanding of organisational structures and the business environment
- Knowledge in the principles of business planning and finance within an organisation, as well as business reporting, management responsibilities and accountabilities within an organisation
- An understanding of the principles and techniques of work-related communication both verbally and in writing
- The knowledge of a range of documents required for different types of meetings in a business environment
While completing this qualification you will develop the knowledge, understanding and essential skills employers look for in employees. These range from familiar ‘key skills’ such as team working, independent learning and problem solving, to more tricky-to-measure skills such as:
- An appreciation for appropriate behaviour and dress
- Appropriate interpersonal skills
- Communicating with professional colleagues/peers and/or hierarchical seniors
- Supporting other aspiring employees
- Personal manners and deportment
- Understanding work practices and how different roles and departments function within an organisation
This is a distance learning qualification where you will use an e-learning package and complete assessment activity electronically. You will be supported by a tutor who will provide feedback (electronically) on your progress and will suggest other learning activities to help you develop the knowledge and understanding you require to successfully complete the qualification.
The online e-learning material provided has been developed to provide the information you need to develop your knowledge and understanding to meet a specific range of learning outcomes. These outcomes are mapped to National Occupational Standards so you can be sure that what you are learning is relevant to the workplace.
You will plan a programme of study around your other life commitments. Distance learning material can be studied at any time and in any location where you can access a PC, laptop or tablet and broadband. You should aim to complete your course in 6 months although it may be possible to achieve this earlier if you have more time to spend on study.
This qualification consists of 3 mandatory units and you will study learning material, complete activities and submit assessment questions for marking for all these units:
- Principles of team leading
- Understand business
- Understand how to communicate work-related information
There are also 5 further units which have been chosen to complete this qualification:
- Understand how to manage performance and conflict in the workplace
- Principles of Equality and Diversity in the workplace
- Understand how to develop working relationships with colleagues
- Understand Health and Safety procedures in the workplace
- Understand how to develop and deliver a presentation
You should not underestimate the time commitment required to complete a distance learning qualification at Level 2.
Your tutor will also support you to improve your English skills alongside your learning of your vocational subject. This will include assessing your current skills from the work you produce and providing additional learning activities related to your subject that are designed to develop your skills in these areas.
This is a vocational course leading to a qualification and the cost of it is subsidised by public funding. You will be required to complete all of the necessary coursework/assignments or exams by the given deadlines. Please note: if you do not successfully complete the course within the required timescale you will not be able to repeat it at the subsidised fee.
For further information on the syllabus for this course please go to https://verve.tquk.org/files/specifications/specification_160.pdf