During this course you will receive both group and individual support in order to help you learn more about Sewing Machine Skills.
This fascinating course follows on from Step 2 (or equivalent) and will help you consolidate your learning at beginner level.
Topics that may be covered include:
- Use pressing techniques to achieve a quality finish to sewn items
- Use a greater variety of the machine stitches
- Use sewing techniques for embroidery and decorative purposes
- Make a sewn craft item following instructions in the style of commercial patterns
- Choose a greater range of fabrics suitable for beginner projects
- Use a variety of techniques such as buttonholes and zips in your projects
- Learn how to read, cut out from and follow a commercial sewing pattern
- Explore the different natures of fabrics and their purposes
- Look at the work of some fashion designers today and trends.
There will be the opportunity to choose a practical project to be completed from the selection offered by the tutor. Projects are chosen to give you the chance to put into practice the skills and knowledge that you will be taught.
You will have the option to adapt choices made to suit your ability and any opportunity you may have to carry out additional work on your project.
This course can help you to cut your costs and by recycling and renewing, make the most of your existing wardrobe and furnishings making a contribution to a greener environment and helping you financially.
All our courses are made up of elements of speaking & listening, reading and writing, and you will work using these elements throughout the course.
Some of the skills you gain on this course could help increase your opportunities for employment or working within the community. Learning takes place in a friendly classroom setting, which is a great place for social interaction and helping you meet new people.
Practice at home and completion of homework is advisable to enhance your learning experience.
This course is subsidised by Government funding so you should aim to attend the whole course.