This course is suitable for beginners and those more experienced, as this can be thought of as a project that will be started and finished in one day.
During this course you will receive both group and individual support in experimenting with PMC, silver clay, as a medium from which to make a piece of unique and delightful jewellery.
Art Clay Silver and PMC Flex are types of precious metal clay which looks and feels like ordinary sculpting or porcelain clay, with fine particles of pure silver mixed with a non-toxic organic binder. When fired the binder burns out leaving a fine silver piece, which can be hallmarked as fine silver.
Using pre-formed moulds, or creating your own moulds and textures, using cutters, you will learn how to create your own design jewellery, Charms, with embellishment and integral bail.
The various stages will include some or all of the following:
- Creating texture - using texture mats or other templates that we will explore
- Selecting a pre-formed mould or creating one yourself using Siligum
- Practice with air drying clay to check the design
- Using PMC, (silver) to make the item - creation of embellishment(s) and adding a bail
- Inclusion of a lab created gemstone - (optional and will incur a charge at cost)
- Setting the clay
- Refining the clay
- Drying the piece before
- Patinising (optional)
- Fitting with jump rings, chain/thong
All our courses are made up of elements of speaking & listening, reading and writing, and you will work using these elements throughout the course.
Some of the skills you gain on this course could help increase your opportunities for employment or working within the community. Learning takes place in a friendly classroom setting, which is a great place for social interaction and helping you meet new people.
This course is subsidised by Government funding so you should aim to attend the whole course.