This is a qualification which provides the underpinning knowledge and understanding, for those with a role in directly working with children or young people in schools. It will also provide the opportunity to evidence further competence within the role of supporting learning activities within a school.
This course is completed by working one to one with your assessor who will meet with you regularly in school to review your progress and set learning goals. Your assessor will also observe you supporting in the classroom and provide you with feedback. It is necessary to have completed level 2 Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools course prior to applying for this Level 3 course.
Under the guidance of your Assessor Trainer you will cover the following units:
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Schools as Organisations
- Support children and young people's health and safety
- Engage in personal development in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Support learning activities
- Promote children and young people's positive behaviour
- Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
- Support assessment for learning
Regular home study of 6 - 12 hours per week will be necessary to successfully complete this course. You will be supported to develop good study skills by Skills and Learning and your assessor, who will support you to improve your English and maths skills alongside your learning of your vocational subject. This will include assessing your current skills and planning learning activities related to your subject that are designed to develop your skills in these areas. To support this, you will undertake some e-learning modules, where appropriate, as homework.
If you have declared at enrolment that you are unemployed, you may be invited to meet with an Information, Advice and Guidance Officer or employability member of staff, to identify other learning opportunities that will support you to secure employment or improve your employment prospects. We highly recommend that you engage fully in any other learning opportunities that we help you identify.
You will be required to complete all of the necessary coursework/assignments or exams by the given deadlines.
For further information on the syllabus for this course please go towww.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/learning/learning-support/5329-supporting-teaching-and-learning-in-schools.