This qualification will help you get into, or progress within employment in the healthcare or social care sectors, in a variety of job roles where an understanding of the care and management of diabetes is required. You can also take this qualification to support your progression into further learning within the health and social care sector. The qualification aims to:
- Provide you with an understanding of the different types of diabetes and how they can occur
- Develop your awareness of how the onset of Type 2 diabetes can be delayed with lifestyle changes
- Develop your understanding of diabetes diagnosis and initial care
- Develop your understanding of on-going care and treatment of diabetes to control blood sugar levels
The objectives of this qualification will help you to:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of diabetes to support your role in a healthcare or social care workplace
- Progress to further learning in this subject area or within the wider area of Health and Social Care
This is a distance learning qualification course where you will use an e-learning package and complete assessment activity electronically. You will be supported by a tutor who will provide feedback (electronically) on your progress and will suggest other learning activities to help you develop the knowledge and understanding you require to successfully complete the qualification. The online e-learning material provided has been developed to provide the information you need to develop your knowledge and understanding to meet a specific range of learning outcomes. These outcomes are also mapped to National Occupational Standards so you can be sure that what you are learning is relevant to the workplace. You will plan a programme of study around your other life commitments. Distance learning material can be studied at any time and in any location where you can access a PC, laptop or tablet, and broadband. You should aim to complete your course in 6 months although it may be possible to achieve this earlier if you have more time to spend on study.
Qualification Content This qualification consists of 4 mandatory units and you will study learning material, complete activities and submit assessment questions for marking, for all of these units;
- Understand diabetes You will understand how glucose and insulin function in the body, how different types of diabetes occur, and the risk factors associated with Type 2 diabetes.
- Prevention and early intervention of Type 2 diabetes You will understand how the onset of Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed through lifestyle changes.
- Understand the initial care of diabetes You will understand how a diagnosis of diabetes can impact on a person and how the condition can be managed and monitored.
- Understand the treatment and management of diabetes You will understand the on-going care and treatment recommended to control blood glucose levels and prevent complications for people with diabetes.
You should not underestimate the time commitment required to complete a distance learning qualification at Level 2. Your tutor will also support you to improve your English skills alongside your learning of your vocational subject. This will include assessing your current skills from the work you produce and providing additional learning activities related to your subject that are designed to develop your skills in these areas. This is a vocational course leading to a qualification, and the cost of it is subsidised by public funding. You will be required to complete all of the necessary coursework/assignments or exams by the given deadlines.
Please note: if you do not successfully complete the course within the required timescale, you will not be able to repeat it at the subsidised fee. For further information on the syllabus for this course please go to https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/ncfe-cache-level-2-certificate-in-understanding-the-care-and-management-of-diabe-539