Terms & Conditions
The Skills & Learning Manager reserves the right to assess the learner’s suitability to benefit from the proposed course. Enrolment and payment do not guarantee a place on a course. Skills & Learning reserves the right to insist upon any learner discontinuing attendance on any course or venue.
Places on some of our courses will be in high demand and if you have been offered a place but no longer require it, please advise us immediately, as you may be preventing another learner from taking the place. Where learners do not attend the first session without having given prior notice, Skills & Learning reserve the right to offer the place on the course to another learner and you will not be eligible to a refund if it is outside the 14-day cooling off period (see ‘Cancellation Policy’).
Unspent Criminal Convictions
We require learners to disclose any unspent criminal convictions within 7 days of enrolment. Please refer to our policy page here.
Learners studying qualification courses at other training providers
The funding bodies will only fund a learner to study a qualification with a single training provider. Where a learner studies the same qualification with another training provider, Skills & Learning reserves the right to reclaim from the learner, the fees equivalent to the loss of funding from the funding bodies.
Eligibility to Attend Courses
All our courses are available to learners aged 19 and over on 31 August. Residency and eligibility rules apply. Any changes to residency and eligibility rules will be published on our website, here.
Changes in Class Arrangement
Courses are arranged on a basis of estimated demand.
The Skills & Learning Manager may change the syllabus, the day and time of any course and may cancel courses where:
- Enrolment or attendance is considered inadequate
- The course tutor is unable to continue teaching and no suitably qualified replacement tutor is available
Where a session must be postponed, the Service will re-schedule the session and no refund of the learner’s fee will be made. Where the remainder of the course is cancelled, the Service’s liability is limited to a pro-rata refund of the learner’s fee (please also see cancellation policy below).
Stationery, Textbooks and Course Materials
On most courses learners are expected to provide the stationery and materials required for their courses. Please refer to the Course Information Sheet.
Change of Personal Details
You must advise us of any change to your personal details, including your address.
Please see our privacy and cookies policy here for details on how we process your personal information.
Damage to Equipment & Premises
The cost of repair of property known to have been damaged by a learner shall, on demand, be paid to Skills & Learning by the learner responsible for such damage.
Loss or Damage to Personal Property
All property, including clothing, electronic goods, bicycles and motor vehicles, brought to any Skills & Learning premises by a learner shall remain throughout, at the sole risk of the learner.
Neither Dorset Council, BCP Council nor the Skills & Learning Service accepts any responsibility.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Fees are exempt from VAT. Learners should be aware that course fees, as quoted, are subject to review only in exceptional circumstances. Places on courses are not transferable to any other person. These Terms and Conditions must be read in conjunction with our Learner Handbook, our Fees Policy and Course Entry Policy.
For fees over £100 it may be possible to pay 50% of the course fee before the start of the course. 50% of the total course fee must be received by BCP Council before the agreement is valid. This will be followed by two consecutive monthly instalments of 25% following the initial payment of 50%.
For course fees over £650 – please contact Skills & Learning for further information. Please note that the full fee remains payable if you cancel your place on the course outside the 14-day cooling off period.
Please refer to the Finance and Course Fees information or phone 01202 123444 for further information.
Examination and awarding organisation registration fees and administrative charges
Examination and awarding organisation registration fees and administrative charges are included in the cost of the course. Learners are reminded that it is their responsibility to ensure that they are entered for the correct examination by the deadline date set. Learners who do not turn up for exams and/or assessments will be charged an exam cancellation fee.
If a learner misses the final examination entry deadline and wishes to make a late entry, the learner will be required to pay a £15 centre administration fee and the awarding organisation late fee.
Early bird discount
1. This offer applies to “Learning for Leisure” courses – course codes begin with a letter ‘P’. Please refer to the 2022-23 Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole guide – pages 7 to 9 or pages 7 to 14 in the Dorset area guide.
2. Applies to enrolments made on or before 18th August 2022.
3. Each course enrolled onto must cost at least £50 to be eligible for the 10% discount i.e. two courses costing £26 each do not qualify for the discount.
4. There is no limit to the number of courses which can be enrolled upon.
5. All courses must be paid for in full at the point of enrolment. The discount cannot be used in conjunction when paying in instalments.
6. The discount applies to Full Fee and Concessionary Fees (CF) where the above conditions are met.
7. If you transfer to a course where the Early Bird Discount offer is not applicable, the discount will be removed, and you will be liable to pay the fee that would otherwise be payable.
8. Skills & Learning reserves the right to withdraw the scheme at any point.
9. The discount cannot be used on other courses/cannot be combined with any other offer/there is no cash alternative.
10. This offer can only be used on courses directly delivered by Skills & Learning.
11. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time if we are oversubscribed.
12. The offer dates will be strictly adhered to and we cannot be held responsible for technical, IT or banking failures that prevent enrolment by the given date.
You may cancel your place on a course within 14 days of your enrolment and receive a full refund, unless:
- Full delivery of the course has taken place within this period
- Part of the course has been delivered within this period, in which case you will pay reasonable costs for this proportion of the course
Advanced Learner Loan Cancellation only
The Student Loans Company (SLC) will only pay the fees based on the duration of your attendance. If you decide to withdraw from the course, the SLC will stop payments to Skills & Learning and you will be liable for the remaining balance of the course fee. If you have applied for an Advanced Learner Loan you will also be liable for the full course fee if the loan application remains incomplete or is later declined by the SLC.
Cancellations outside of this policy, for exceptional circumstances, are entirely at our discretion.
To request a refund please complete a cancellation form which you can access here.
Nothing contained within these Terms & Conditions affects your statutory rights.
An appropriate proportion of fees may be refunded in the following circumstances:
- A refund of exam/registration fees where these have not yet been paid by Skills & Learning to the awarding organisation.
- A class is closed due to low attendance and/or where the number of learners does not justify continuation of the class.
- A learner is unable to continue for medical reasons; a medical certificate or letter from a doctor must be supplied within three weeks of the last class attended to support the request for a refund.
- A full refund of fees will be made if a course is cancelled due to a service failure.
Please note: Examination fees are non-refundable after the 14-day cancellation period has expired.
Sometimes we must change the day, time or venue for a course. We will notify you of this. Under the following circumstances you will have 7 days from the date of our notification to request a refund (either pro-rata if the course has started, or in full if it has not started) if you are unable to attend the course due to our change of arrangements:
- If the day of a course must change due to unforeseen circumstances.
- If the time of a course must change due to unforeseen circumstances (and the change is greater than 60 minutes).
- If the venue of a course must change due to unforeseen circumstances (and the replacement venue is more than 2 miles away from the original venue).
- If we decide it is in the interests of the safety of learners and/or staff, or under guidance from Public Health England and/or other Government departments, to move delivery of a course online then no refunds will be made as a result of this.
Learners should not turn up for any session without enrolling.
Impact of Learning
Where you undertake a course, which is fully or partially funded by public funding, you will be required to provide information on the impact of the learning. This will be collected from you in your classes, online and/or by telephone. You cannot opt out of this responsibility.
Please retain this information for reference purposes.
Please be aware that by enrolling on a course, learners are accepting all these Terms & Conditions.
This information is correct at time of publishing May 2022.