This course will support progression into relevant employment within the health and social care sector.
The qualification does not infer competence in the work role but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
The objectives of this qualification are to enable learners to understand:
- The types of dementia and the importance of early diagnosis
- Person-centred approaches in dementia care
- The role of communication, interaction and inclusion in dementia care and support
- Use of medication to support individuals with dementia
This is a distance learning qualification where you will use an e-learning package and complete assessment activity electronically. You will be supported by a tutor who will provide feedback (electronically) on your progress and will suggest other learning activities to help you develop the knowledge and understanding you require to successfully complete the qualification.
The online e-learning material provided has been developed to provide the information you need to develop your knowledge and understanding to meet a specific range of learning outcomes. These outcomes are also mapped to National Occupational Standards so you can be sure that what you are learning is relevant to the workplace.
You will plan a programme of study around your other life commitments. Distance learning material can be studied at any time and in any location where you can access a PC, laptop or tablet and broadband. You should aim to complete your course in 9 months although it may be possible to achieve this earlier if you have more time to spend on study.
This qualification consists of 7 mandatory units and you will study e-learning material, complete activities, and submit assessment questions for marking, for all these units;
- Understanding dementia
- Understand how person-centred approaches are used to underpin the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Principles of communication and interaction in dementia care and support
- Supporting positive interaction, occupation and activity in dementia care
- Principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care and support
- Understand how to support individuals with dementia to exercise choice and rights
- Principles of the administration of medication and well-being of individuals with dementia
You should not underestimate the time commitment required to complete a distance learning qualification at Level 3.
Your tutor will also support you to improve your English skills alongside your learning of your vocational subject. This will include assessing your current skills from the work you produce and providing additional learning activities related to your subject that are designed to develop your skills in these areas.
This is a vocational course leading to a qualification and the cost of it is subsidised by public funding. You will be required to complete all of the necessary coursework/assignments or exams by the given deadlines. Please note: if you do not successfully complete the course within the required timescale you will not be able to repeat it at the subsidised fee.
For further information on the syllabus for this course please go to https://www.qualhub.co.uk/qualification-search/qualification-detail/ncfe-cache-level-3-certificate-in-understanding-the-principles-of-dementia-care-525